Monday, January 19, 2009

Back To Earth

We all know this historic moment was coming for some time.

Well everyone except the people in my work place. I work in news and it's kind of our job to capture these moments and tell the stories to our viewers.

Our local competition has done that very well, since primary season. And all of a sudden we want to catch up on history. And we did it very badly. I mean this is the scenario at 4pm this afternoon. (an hour before our 5pm show)

Co-Worker: "Regye?"
Me: Yes?
Co-Worker: Do you know anyone who lived through the civil rights movement we can talk to?
Me: I don't have any family this way but I do know some white people you can talk to.
Co-Worker: Well we want to talk to someone who experienced civil rights.

Frustrating? Yes.

On this day, MLK Day and the eve of this historic moment that will only happen once. Our competition has a reporter in route to Washington with a photographer to chronicle the journey of a bus-load of black church members to get their perspective from start to finish.

We are lucky enough to have a reporter who traveled there on her own dime. Thankfully she took a camcorder so she can file a report. Yay us.

So while I was on the high of this amazing moment that means more to me than words can describe. I also have to deal with ignorance.



Is he "excited" about reading or is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment